10 Tips to Successful Carpooling:
- Pick your route & schedule. Establish the morning and afternoon pickup spots.
- Draw up a driving schedule. Decide who drives and when.
- Decide how to share costs. If you don't share the driving equally, then share the costs [parking, gas, tolls...].
- Be on time. Decide together - "how long is the driver expected to wait?"
- Establish policies. Smoking or non smoking? Music and volume? Food or drinks? Your carpool will have a better chance of success if you set ground rules up front.
- Make carpooling serve one purpose. If it is for commuting to and from work, avoid letting it become a shopping or errand service.
- Establish a chain of communication. If a driver is ill, or on vacation, notify an alternate driver so the other carpoolers are not left stranded.
- Travel safely and keep the vehicle in good repair. Keep the vehicle clean and safe. Don't ruin it for everyone with excessive speed and reckless maneuvers.
- Respect your fellow carpooler's wishes. Especially in the morning when some people relish quiet time.
Why do it alone?
Share the trip with a friend or a co-worker.
AAA says "each time you drive 25 miles to work, you spend approx $5,800 a year on gas, maintenance, taxes, depreciation and finance costs."
Instead you could save 50% by carpooling with one other person.
Need more proof? Click here to see the CBS Local article and video on Carpooling to Save Money
Try it out
- Start talking about it At home. At work. At the gym. At school.
- Get together with others who are interested and come up rules and a schedule.
- You drive, your family or friend(s) help pay for gas and parking.
- You catch the ride and help pay for gas and parking.
- Everyone alternates driving and no one exchanges money.
- The driver picks up everyone at their homes, or everyone meets at a central location like a park and ride lot.
- You share a ride, once a week, twice a week, everyday.
- The only rules are the ones you make.
- Try it out a few different ways and adjust as you go.
- Keep track of the savings. Maybe spend a little on yourself.
- Less stress
- Save on commuting costs by sharing. savings calculator
- Less parking
- More free time to read and relax
- Travel in the HOV lane
- Less pollution from fewer auto emissions
- Save on tolls with the fast lane carpool program
Match my trip
How do I get started?
Join NuRide to find people who travel in your same direction. Contact them up and pick a day to try a shared ride. If you like it, plan to do it daily or weekly.
What if I need to get home because of an emergency?
No luck with your list?
If you've called the people on your match list and still can't find a carpool partner, don't worry. Just check your online profile to obtain your new matches. Hundreds of new travelers are added to our database monthly. If you lose a member of your carpool, sign-in to view new matches or call 888-4COMMUTE and we’ll help you find a replacement.
Save money. Save time. Save the environment. Reduce traffic congestion.